Friday 20 March 2020

“I wish we could have class like this every day” – Copperfield School

“I wish we could have class like this every day” – Grade 3 Student
Colleen Reilly- Grade 3 Teacher-Copperfield School




When I reflect on our week at Zoo School through Campus Calgary Open Minds, my mind and heart becomes full from the excitement, discoveries, exploration, community building, and learning that has taken place. I have always believed in learning alongside my students, but felt that this week has made me fully embrace what it means to be a learner. No amount of planning could have prepared me for our mutual excitement at seeing a snow leopard gaze into my student’s eyes, or the rush at attending a gorilla’s fourth birthday party.










All of my students had memorable moments that I know they will carry with them. What stands out to me from the time at Zoo School was one student in particular, who is quiet, a very slow worker and does not often participate during group learning times. This week allowed me to see him in a new light. He was asking questions, making connections, using his time to explore and genuinely engaged in every opportunity. This reminded me of the importance of providing many learning opportunities for our students. 




Sometimes taking them out of our place opens them up in new and exciting ways. This week has changed me and reminded me to slow down and embrace opportunities. When we look for connections between ourselves and others, we are forever changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment