Wednesday 18 December 2019

Blind and Peeking Contour Drawing - The Influence of an Opportunity to Slow Down and Spend Time Looking Deeply at Something

16 years ago, I was first exposed to a way of looking at the world that suited my 11-year-old brain: closely and with as much time as I needed. I learned that everything has a story, and by asking a few simple questions, many answers could be revealed. I learned that looking closely at the world helps to teach us about ourselves, and builds connections with people and ideas that have long since passed. I learned all of these life lessons as a grade 5 student at Stampede School. 

Fast forward nearly 17 years later and I have brought those lessons with me every step of the way. My progress in writing and drawing are not the only pieces of evidence that I have to showcase the impact of the program. I grew to know and understand myself not only as a citizen of the city, but the world, and that despite being one person I can influence greater changes. And I learned all of this from 5 days exploring the micro-climate of the Stampede grounds. I honestly don’t know if I would be the Assistant Coordinator for Chevron Open Minds Science School, but I do know that I would still be working in outreach education. The tactile and interdisciplinary learning environment allowed my brain to break free of the silos I had grown accustomed to, and teaching others to do the same and believe that they have a larger role in our world? Well I simply cannot think of a more fulfilling calling.




~ Amy Leedham - Chevron Open Minds Science School, Assistant Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment